Wednesday, February 9, 2011

PUMPED...FOR CHOCOLATE

Quotable Chocophiles

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar
into four pieces with your bare hands
and then eat just one of the pieces.
Judith Viorst

It's not that chocolates are a substitute for love. Love is a substitute for
chocolate. Chocolate is, let's face it, far more reliable than a man.
Miranda Ingram

I like the last one hehe!

Did you know that  a cup of coffee contains 50 to 175 milligrams of caffeine; a cup of tea, 25 to100 milligrams; and a cup of cocoa, 0 to 25 milligrams.  Also one chocolate chip provides enough 'fuel,' or calories, for an adult to walk 150 feet.  Thirty-five chips will take you a mile. and for a hike around the world, you'll need about 875,000 chips.

Thought I'd throw in some interesting facts about this very incredible edible.  I know that there are some people out there that do not like chocolate but I'm not one of them even after the experience that I had as a child. And what I've learned with chocolate, it's like anything else, you have to try many different kinds and qualities to find the one that suits you best. It's like wine.  Also...my son does not like it but he has found some chocolate to be tolerable! Anyways...on with the story

When I was about 3 or 4 yrs. of age, I had, what I call my first experience with chocolate. I know, you are probably thinking oh, Easter time! Melted chocolate bunny all over a cute little face. Well, no it wasn't like that for me at all.

It was one quiet Saturday afternoon (actually I don't know what day it was but mom was washing clothes and she usually did that on Sat.) mom was washing clothes in the middle of the kitchen with the wringer washer. My older sister and I were there as well and i spied an open chocolate bar on the kitchen counter. Well being so young I went straight for it.

My sister stood by me and watched as I grabbed it off the counter. I remember even offering her a piece. She refused. Well I  ate the rest of the bar which was more than half.  Next thing I knew my mother was in a state of panic.  Yes, I ate the bar of Exlax. (for those of you who don't know what exlax is, it's a laxative).

Well, there I was, in the hospital this huge machine beside me and it was pumping out the contents of my stomach.  I was crying and my mom was crying because i was. I remember her standing over me with tears running down her cheeks. I really don't remember much after that but that's the experience I remember because of my love for chocolate.  I guess you would say that my first experience of it was that of love and that's why I went for the bar. not only that...I was probably hungry.

I still LOVE chocolate!

I guess I'm a true chocoholic

well, what's was your first chocolate experience like?

7 comments:

  1. So funny!! Probably NOT then..huh?
    Yes, my love of chocolate is extreme too...but my memory is of a wringer washer not chocolate. I helped my mother by pushing the clothes through one side while she collected on the other to put in a rinse bath. I pushed too long once and my whole arm went through up past my elbow. She screamed and pushed a release button that should have opened but didn't so she hit "reverse" and un-rung my arm back out! In a day when there were many ringer injuries, I was small and it was OK. Funny today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, no, Donna! I know a wringer washer all too well and I used help my mom push the clothes too but I did not get my arm caught but always imagined that happening.
    glad you were okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute post & love your attitude on this blog, Hope! Isn't chololate really Love?! :-)

    I found you through sweet Yvonne & newest follower!!

    Have a Great 'chocolate' filled day!!
    Hugs,
    Coreen

    ReplyDelete
  4. your experience reminds me of my twin sister and me,we were staying with our grandma and grandpa one summer. We found grandpa's exlax,we knew what it was for but we were little about six I guess. Anyway, we couldn't resist,chocolate we reasoned was chocolate. We ate the whole pack.We didn't go to the doctor,but we did go to their outhouse,for several day's!Blessings jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you Velvet and Jane and welcome!

    I believe it produces the same chemical when you eat it as when you are in love. So, yes...it is love :)

    Jane, i can remember that before my mom and her friend brought me to the hospital, they tried to make me throw up but I wouldn't do it. Now that's love!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a funny and really enjoyable story! I also loved the quote above - the one you liked as well - by Miranda Ingram... although, I'm not certain it's true for all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, I agree Helena. thank you for visiting and for your comments :)

    ReplyDelete